Villa or apartment:
what kind of property should I buy in Mallorca?
Choosing between luxury villas and apartments in Mallorca can be a tough decision with so many exclusive properties granting an exceptional quality of life.
Should I buy an apartment or villa in Mallorca? That’s a great question! The choice of luxury properties in Mallorca is absolutely phenomenal. From luxury apartments in Palma old town to frontline villas in the southwest of Mallorca, there’s so much to choose from that it can really stir your emotions and have you torn. If you’re looking to buy property in Mallorca you’re definitely spoiled for choice, but here’s some great pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
Luxury villas in Mallorca
Owning a luxury villa in Mallorca is a dream come true. There’s something about owning a house with its own private garden and swimming pool which an apartment simply cannot provide. Buying a villa in Spain grants you your own little kingdom, which can always be renovated and reformed to become the ultimate luxury home. Above all, villas provide space, freedom and tranquility to live the best possible life imaginable, and perhaps that’s the real luxury, complemented by sea views.
- Single-family homes offer more privacy
- Single-family homes are eligible for holiday rental licenses
- Luxury villas in Mallorca are located in exclusive residential areas
- Luxury villas have more outdoor space including gardens and swimming pools
- Villas in Mallorca have annexes, garages and ample parking opportunities
- Higher asking prices
- Higher maintenance costs (gardening, swimming pools, repairs)
- Higher property taxes (IBI)
- Higher insurance premiums
- Higher home security needs
Luxury apartments in Mallorca
The main advantages of buying an apartment in Mallorca includes the convenience and relatively low-maintenance of having a lock-up and go solution, which is ideal for many foreign buyers. For example, if you’re looking for a holiday home in the sun or a sea view property without spending millions, apartments in Mallorca are the ideal option. Most apartments are found in central areas and even in seafront locations, surrounded by amenities and great Mediterranean atmosphere.
- Luxury apartments are more affordable
- Luxury apartments involve less maintenance
- Mallorca apartments are located in prime areas
- Apartments in Mallorca have lower utility costs
- Apartments have shared facilities such as gardens, swimming pools, playgrounds
- Mallorca apartment complexes tend to have strict rules and regulations
- Luxury apartments have high community fees (cleaning, security, gardening, swimming pools)
- Mallorca apartments generally have less living space than villas
- Apartments often lack private outdoor space and greenery
- Apartments offer less privacy
Advice on what property to buy in Mallorca
All the above mentioned pros and cons are very broad, and there are different types of properties in Mallorca which may very well be the exception. For example, you can find luxury apartments which are just as big as some villas, and you can find luxury villas in exclusive residential areas just 15 minutes from Palma. It all depends on your budget and desired lifestyle. Our international property experts are here to listen, and help you find and buy your dream home in Mallorca.
Find the best luxury properties in Mallorca
Balearic Properties has many properties for sale in Mallorca, besides villas and apartments, we also offer country homes, townhouses and historic estates. We are an international associate of Savills with over 20 years of experience in helping international buyers find the perfect home in Mallorca. If you’re looking for a primary residence, holiday home or rental investment, contact one of our offices in Pollensa or Puerto Portals to tell us more about your dream property in Spain. Speak to Balearic Properties